On April 27th ELGA associates attended the Freeland Walleye Festival. Our team consisted of associates from the Saginaw Branch and was supported by others from Fenton, Goodrich, Davison and Administration.  This event was close to the heart of the Saginaw Branch as Freeland is home to a lot of our members and we wanted to let them know we’re here to support them!

This Festival is put on every year by the Freeland Lions Club. This is the largest of their community fundraisers and goes on for the entire weekend.  The Festival kicks off with a parade and consists of a carnival midway, casino tent, rummage sales, disc golf tournament, pancake breakfasts – the list goes on and on!  Our team bagged popcorn in purple ELGA popcorn bags and handed it out to those playing in the poker tournament and walking around the venue. 

A Carnival for A Cause

I was excited to get involved with the Freeland Lions Club for this event because their goal, much like ours, is to serve their community.  75% of the funds they raise stay local for things such as offering free eye exams and glasses to those in need and contributing to the Tammy Hafer Outreach Foundation to provide financial aid to the less fortunate.   The remaining 25% goes to state and international charities to support organizations such as Leader Dogs for the Blind.

The event is spread all over Freeland but we were in the lobby of Burt Watson Chevrolet, safe and sound from the cold and rainy weather outside. The staff was so accommodating to us, they hung our banner and even provided the popcorn machine so all we had to do was pop and bag.  This gave us more time to be able to talk to those coming by to say hello.

We chose to participate in this event because of the impact the Freeland Lions Club has on the community and how dedicated they are to their fundraising.  We are new to this community so we wanted to show how ELGA cares and wants to help the community. I would love to grow this event in the future and the Freeland Lions Club has already asked about getting us involved in other areas of this Walleye Festival next year!

Author, Kelli Benner

Saginaw Branch Manager

Lean more about the Freeland Walleye Festival here.

Lean more about the Freeland Lions Club here.

  • Dodging for Dollars 2019

    Last weekend several ELGA associates participated in the 2019 Dodging for Dollars event to…
  • Race2Grace 5k 2019

    On Saturday, May 18th, the ELGA Wellness Team and hundreds of local runners and walkers ga…
  • 2019 Flint Superhero Run

    On April 27, 2019 roughly 45 ELGA associates met at the Flint Farmers’ Market in varying d…
Load More Related Articles
  • Dodging for Dollars 2019

    Last weekend several ELGA associates participated in the 2019 Dodging for Dollars event to…
  • Race2Grace 5k 2019

    On Saturday, May 18th, the ELGA Wellness Team and hundreds of local runners and walkers ga…
  • 2019 Flint Superhero Run

    On April 27, 2019 roughly 45 ELGA associates met at the Flint Farmers’ Market in varying d…
Load More By Mariah Gorman
  • Dodging for Dollars 2019

    Last weekend several ELGA associates participated in the 2019 Dodging for Dollars event to…
  • Race2Grace 5k 2019

    On Saturday, May 18th, the ELGA Wellness Team and hundreds of local runners and walkers ga…
  • 2019 Flint Superhero Run

    On April 27, 2019 roughly 45 ELGA associates met at the Flint Farmers’ Market in varying d…
Load More In Community Connections

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Dodging for Dollars 2019

Last weekend several ELGA associates participated in the 2019 Dodging for Dollars event to…